Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Marijuana

Marijuana is another love that I share with untold millions (if not billions). I must applaud California voters and I pray that violence drops as tax yields from legal (at state level) medical marijuana dispensaries go up. I believe that prohibition of marijuana was an even greater failure than the prohibition of alcohol. At least with alcohol you were saving lives via less drunk driving. With marijuana prohibition you aren't saving lives, you're just making it more lucrative for violent criminals to take them.

Living in central Texas I see and hear a lot more about the problems caused by drug trafficking over the border between Mexico and the US. When major busts happen you see prices change. I remember reading about a 1,000 pound bust where people were killed (both lawmen and criminals) and then all of the sudden people were talking about paying triple prices for the same stuff. Suffice to say I would have never purchased that because it was obviously a blood drug at that point. Now if little Billy grows it then I might have to take a gander at his product. If Uncle Sam grew it I would be on it like red hairs on Sativa.

Seriously though! What's keeping us from decriminalizing it? My opinion is that the government likes the 30 trillion dollars that has been spent on the War on Drugs since inception and that they also enjoy the very steady income from courts, jails, probation and other legal fines that come with getting caught. What I fail to understand is why they are so hesitant to take that same 30 trillion dollars from 'drug users' (aka potheads).

The propaganda shoved in the faces of 1930's Americans was the basis for a strong stance against recreational marijuana use and I think we're still feeling the effects of it to this very day. The movie/picture show claims that using marijuana will make you go crazy, have sex with whores, kill people, etc. No, I'm fucking serious.

Fast forward 80 years later and people start to forget about the ill effects of marijuana use such as murderous rampages and brainwashing. Luckily, we're all still here. This article points out that the federal judge (Judge George H. Wu) that passed down a sentence of 1 year and 1 day (when he should have given 5 years) to a Canadian marijuana seed seller (Charles C. Lynch) felt that the current laws were treating him unfairly. He later claimed that marijuana should be reclassified. This is a federal fucking judge people. He sees firsthand the effects our laws have on the average citizen.

I would like to close by stating that if my daughter were caught using marijuana (Which I would NOT be happy about) I would MUCH prefer that all she got from it was a high rather than a sentence carrying: Fines, community service, jail time and possible prison time.

For the children!!!