Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Gaming Keyboard G510 Review

The Logitech Gaming Keyboard G510 is fun to play with. Like the Cooler Master's mouse that I reviewed earlier in the year it has a very sleek and 'cool' design that is eye catching. Standard features include:
  • Dynamic color adjustment of key backlighting
  • A slew of extra macro keys
  • A volume wheel and controls
  • Programmable (software included)
  • LED Screen
  • Windows key lock
  • Wrist rest
  • USB
  • Green


It's important to keep in mind that to use this keyboard to the full extent you have to have a bit of knowledge with macros and modifier keys (alt+key, ctrl+key, ctrl+alt+key, etc). The software is confusing once you start to dig into it. The most popular features such as back lighting and key assignments are straight forward but anything beyond that requires you to spend some time with it. It also requires updates to the software after you download and install it. Shouldn't we just download the latest release in the first place? Logitech...

My favorite feature by far is the LED screen. It is very usable rather than a gimmick. There are custom modules for all of the popular video games and several downloadable modules for use with it. Let's not forget to mention you can write your own. After using the LCD screen on here I feel like I'm missing something if it's not there.


The macro recorder seemed a bit buggy and difficult to get just right. At one point I thought I had it doing exactly what I wanted but when I tried to execute the macro it just simply did not have the intended effect. So instead of turning all of my shiny new keys into complex macros that may or not function exactly how I wanted I just set them all up with their modifiers. The 18 keys on the side are each set with complex modifiers that allow me to bind them in-game. In World of Warcraft it worked great, in any FPS it was terrible. Most fast paced video games don't expect you to be using a lot of modifiers that may not be recognized/saveable.


My biggest complaint by far is the volume control wheel at the top left. The buttons and the wheel all function flawlessly. The actual problem comes into play when you notice that your volume keeps reseting to default. I play with my Windows volume maxed out (100/100) and then I adjust my actual speaker volume dial as needed. This ensures that I'm not missing sounds/noises/voiceovers in my videogames because of Windows. It is rather frustrating to notice halfway through a Call of Duty match that you haven't heard a call out in a while.

The windows key lock was completely worthless for me as I use the windows key a LOT (Try using Windows Key + TAB if you run Vista or 7). Both in and out of game I find myself using the shortcuts enough to completely ignore this feature.
One of the nice things was profile switching on the fly using the M1,M2 and M3 buttons above the macro keys. I would setup colors, macros and custom functions for each profile. M1=MMO, M2=FPS, M3=Standard. This was actually a very welcome feature as I use the keyboard differently for each game type and I assume others do as well.


Conclussion:
If you see this go on sale and you want something that looks really nice then by all means grab it. I would strongly recommend to purchase it for specific features rather than just because it's a gaming keyboard. If you don't need macro keys and you could care less about an LCD screen then go get a different keyboard for your "Ohhhhh"s and "Ahhhhh"s.


I'm considering nominating this for the turd in a box award.

EDIT: I would like to add that I returned this keyboard under warranty and Logitech's return procedures are like most, horrendous. I think it took something like 2-3 weeks to get the replacement. They also temporarily charge a credit card until you return the old one. If I remember correctly shipping and handling had to paid too.