Monday, October 18, 2010

Back from Vacation

It's good to be home. Vacations can seem like a lot of work just in and of themselves. Luckily I did everything right and had an awesome time. I climbed well above the timber line in a 2 door Cavalier. I must say that I'm impressed with how my little 4 banger climbed the mountain.

On the way up there we met up with a band in Chama Pass. While on the search for magic mushrooms our newfound guide invited us for a ride on the magic schoolbus  as their band sought out a new venue even higher in the mountains. I met the original family from Lonesome Dove and also snagged a glass for Kips Taco Shop winter closing in Creed (another historical landmark). Here's a picture of the view on the way to Creed:
I took this picture from a dangerous ledge. Tourist like stupidity: ACTIVATE!

After waking up very drunkenly I snagged some home made biscuits and gravy and then saw a dairy on the way to Del Norte. I stopped and bought several shares of a cow. Then I milked 'my' cow and took raw milk home. If you've never had raw milk I must say: YOU'RE MISSING OUT.

We also went fly fishing and hiking. All in all it was an excellent trip that started out the way it ended: just right. Of course no trip is complete without a little mishap. I dusted my brake pads while coming down Wolf Creek Pass and lost a protective undercarriage shield and wire runner after turning into an embankment. On the way back the entire vehicle shook to high heaven but we luckily hit a tire shop RIGHT before the blowout. Then as we leave Santa Rosa to head back to Texas my navigator (see: retarded hamster) manages to direct me down the wrong highway and we hit 'Amarillo by Morning'...

With all of that said and done it was still an excellent trip filled with good memories and even better buds. Cheers to a great vacation!