Friday, September 3, 2010

American Investing

I consider myself a pretty dollar savy fellow. I am always seeking new avenues and opportunities to invest small amounts of money into. The problem is that I often desire to cash in my long term investment accounts. I see that it’s worth a few bucks and the consumer switch (I imagine one like an electric chair) slams down with the weight of being a hamburger loving American all of my life. I have yet to cash in on one of my accounts but I’ve come close.
You know things are tough when you start eyeing your 401k like a starved wolf in a chicken coop thinking to yourself “Just X more years and I can have the money…”. Whoever thought of 401k was a genius. He probably worked for the Federal Reserve and was tasked with how to screw the working man out of yet another small portion of his accumulated wealth. He was locked in a room for days until he came up with 401k. It was most ironic because the plan was for life to kill your ass before you could cash it. Pure genius…
On a side note if you get married and die
prematurely your widow/s (yes, ex-wives
have rights to what 401k was invested
while you were married.) get to cash
in on it. So I guess it isn't THAT evil.